JAMES S. WHITE. Ph.D.
James S. White, Ph.D., is an Adjunct Assistant Professor of Cell and Developmental Biology in the Perelman School of Medicine, where he participates in the teaching of a number of courses, including Human Gross Anatomy, Cell and Tissue Biology and Brain and Behavior. Dr. White has been teaching at the University of Pennsylvania for 25 years.
He is the is the author of two review books, USMLE Road Map Neuroscience (2008 McGraw-Hill) and USMLE Road Map Gross Anatomy (2006 McGraw-Hill), and a co-author of the Kaplan Medical USMLE Step 1 Anatomy Lecture Notes.
Dr. White has a Bachelor of Arts in History from Lynchburg College in Lynchburg, VA, and a Ph.D in Anatomy from The Milton S. Hershey Medical Center of The Pennsylvania State University.
Dr. White has received over 20 teaching awards including the Provost’s Award for Distinguished Teaching at the University of Pennsylvania, the Dean’s Award for Excellence in Basic Science Teaching at the Perelman School of Medicine. In 2010, Dr. White was elected as an honorary member of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society.
01. The Language of Anatomy: Anatomic terms
02. The tissues and organs of Anatomy: Epithelial and Connective Tissue
03. The tissues and organs of Anatomy: Muscle and Nervous tissue
04. The Thoracic Wall; Bony and cartilaginous framework
05. The Thoracic Wall; Musculature, innervation and blood supply
06. Muscles of Respiration: How does the diaphragm work?
07. Muscles of Respiration: How do the intercostal muscles work?
08. Lungs and Pleura: Pleural relationships and respiration, Costodiaphragmatic recesses
09. Lungs; Lobes and fissures, Root of the lung
10. The Trachea: Branches and the Bronchopulmonary segments
11. Mediastinum: Superior Mediastinal Structures
12. Mediastinum: Posterior Mediastinal Structures
13. Heart and Pericardium: How the heart acts as two pumps in series
14. Anatomic locations of Atria and Ventricles
15. Atria, Ventricles; Internal anatomy
16. Heart: Atrioventricular and Semilunar valves; Heart auscultation
17. Heart: Arterial blood supply and venous drainage
18. Heart and Lungs; The autonomic nervous system and their autonomic innervation
19. Electrical conduction system of the heart; the electrocardiogram
20. Respiratory Histology; Trachea and bronchi
21. Respiratory Histology; Bronchioles and alveoli
22. Heart; Histology of the heart wall
23. Thoracic Imaging 1; Cross sectional CT’s
24. Thoracic Imaging 2; Functional MRI’s, Arteriograms, Clinical aspects